WebMCP Is Browser‑Scoped, Not A Server MCP
The article explains that WebMCP, introduced at Google I/O 2026, is a browser-scoped tool protocol that exposes tools to agents running inside a Chrome tab and uses the user's active browser session for authentication. It is suitable for human-in-the-loop flows (booking, dashboards, in‑app copilots) but is not a replacement for stdio/HTTP MCP servers that run headless on VPS or containers for cron-, webhook- or queue-driven automations. The author describes a production server-side MCP setup that handles over 400 daily tool calls without a browser session, and gives a simple rule-of-thumb: if a human is looking at a screen, WebMCP; otherwise use a server-side MCP holding your credentials. The post also briefly notes related I/O updates (built-in Chrome AI and reusable “Skills”).
- •Google I/O 2026 introduced WebMCP as a browser-scoped tool protocol.
- •WebMCP exposes tools from inside a Chrome tab and uses the user's active browser session for auth.
- •WebMCP is unsuitable for headless, server-side automations triggered by cron, webhooks or queues.
